scribblesinblue: a gift set of a blue quill pen with a reddish ribbon around it, an inkwell, and a box with a stylized lining (Default)
They’re calling the class “Health and Nutrition for Performance” this year.

Last year it had been “Practical Applications of Botany” and the year before, which had been Lana’s first, she can’t remember what they called it. The name was unimportant – whatever made a convincing enough “scientific” name for a time-block the first quarter of the academic year that was devoted to making sure the Institute’s gardens and orchards had their harvests brought in and stored before the killing frosts came.

The food is always the important part. Except this year, things are a little different, because someone, somehow, for some reason had arranged for government trucks to drop off a quantity of frozen chicken legs measured in tons.  Enough chicken to fill all of the Institute’s freezers without leaving room for anything else.

So, they need cold storage. Cold storage to thaw the chicken, one freezer load at a time, to process into cutlets and stews and broths. The stews and broths will be canned and shelf-stable, less finicky to store and not subject to the risk of use-or-lose if there is an extended blackout instead of just the rolling brownouts that plagued the Institute last year. Cold storage is needed, too, for everything that isn’t chicken that needs to be processed.

Which is why the ice rinks have been repurposed – one as a meat locker, the other as chilled storage for the apples and plums from the Institute’s orchard that need further processing. The top-level hockey team, the same one that last year joked they could take over the swimming pool during the February deep freeze, is complaining non-stop. The top-ranked swimmers, who remember the freeze all too well, gleefully mock the hockey team. 

Their cheer is short-lived when they are told that the pool can’t be filled and properly heated, either, until the chicken and the harvest that remains in orchard and garden has all been safely processed. The gymnasium that includes the swimming pools is powered down and padlocked, the small trickle of electrical power it draws in even this condition as much of a sacrifice of resources that can be made for the ability to use the facility again once the crisis has passed.

And, in fairness and solidarity, this means basic dryland training and outdoor work detail for everyone at the Institute, regardless of their sport or year or skill level. Probably for the entire first quarter. 

The new boy she’d stopped to help with his scattered possessions on Wednesday had insisted on taking Lana for a hot chocolate that Saturday during their free block, and at first she had thought that Leon was going to be Luka all over again. Anyone who actually knows anything about Lana and Luka, who has seen them together over the years of summer skills camps, knows that they are as close as twin sister and brother, and that they are definitely not a couple. And those who think they are…? Well, it’s probably for the best that such people continue to think that! It’s…safer, that way.

When they’ve taken the drinks in the little Styrofoam cups and walked away towards more privacy, she asks Leon, just to see if that’s what she’s getting into here. “So…does it help you? To be seen with a girl?” 

Leon just looks at her for a moment, eyes wide with confusion. “Girls…aren’t interchangeable,” he manages to say. Then, “People aren’t interchangeable.” Then, before Lana can figure out what to say, “I asked you because you did me one hell of a favor and I know I just got here and I’m probably too young for you but I think I kind of…like you? Even if we don’t really know each other yet?”

Oh. He wasn’t looking for a cover story. He…likes her.

She smiles at him, bright and real, and suggests they walk over to the sign-ups for work detail. They’ll pick apples together on the first morning shift for the next week. 

The apples give them both things to talk about, to get to know each other better. Leon starts it off by saying that he didn’t think that “Health and Nutrition for Performance” was going to be about harvesting and storing food. 

Lana tells him that this has happened ever since her first year, with a slightly different name for every first quarter class on something that could be listed as part of the biology department but is really set up to make sure the students stay fed throughout the year. And that her parents moved south about a year ago, expecting conditions to be better, only to face market shortages and a large group of local students rioting over their lacking provisions. She had heard rumors, but her parents had not confirmed them until she went home between the end of her second Institute year and the beginning of a summer skill camp. It was not, after all, the sort of thing to write in a letter that could be intercepted, to say in a telephone call that could be overheard.

Leon tells Lana that his parents were glad to invest in the plane ticket to send him for a test competition if it meant he might earn an Institute spot and no longer add to their expense ledger. And then he talks about that competition, and about how picking apples here reminds him of the boy named Max that he had met there, about how Max was just as talented but his family needed him picking apples in their orchard or at least keeping his little siblings out of the way of the dangerous machinery. An Institute placement wasn’t an option for Max, but he had hopes that a coaching certificate could give him the knowledge to do more than just keep his little siblings and their friends out of the way of dangerous machines. He wanted to teach them to do something instead.

Lana tells Leon that her parents are both skill coaches, who work with skaters and gymnasts and dancers, and that is what she wants to do someday, too, after she’s had some time in the field performing. 

Leon says he wants that, too, both the performance and the settling down later to coach, and he hopes that they can help each other get there.

She takes his hand. “Together,” she says.

“Together,” he agrees.

She really likes the sound of that. 

Date: 2026-10-04 01:56 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] krispykritter
A fun chapter in the Institute! I'd pick apples any day rather than process chicken! Yikes!

Date: 2026-10-04 02:47 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
adoptedwriter: (Default)
Awww. Sweet! Processing meat. Yuck.

Date: 2026-10-07 06:30 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
I had to read this a second time because the first time I was too tired to take it all in. I like it. I like the idea of the institute using student labor to keep them fed. Yay for processing chickens and picking apples. I hate the smell of wet feathers when the birds go in a hot water bath to help remove the feathers though. I usually can't stomach that smell.

Date: 2026-10-04 04:29 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] thephantomq
thephantomq: (Default)
“I asked you because you did me one hell of a favor and I know I just got here and I’m probably too young for you but I think I kind of…like you? Even if we don’t really know each other yet?”

Smooth, Leon. Smooth. But hey, it seems to have worked! haha

Date: 2026-10-04 08:59 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
simplyn2deep: (Default)
I really liked how “vampire load” was woven into the background of this. The Institute is conserving every last bit of power while the students are also learning to share the much bigger load of keeping everyone fed. And Leon’s “People aren’t interchangeable” immediately made me like him; that sweet little “Together” at the end was a lovely payoff.

Date: 2026-10-04 10:07 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
gardeningatnight: (Default)
This has me curious about the sort of world they live in where there are food shortages and an emphasis on sport and training -- as though there are circuses but not enough bread.

But also the idea of receiving perishables in quantities that large was completely overwhelming. I struggled enough just dealing with our bumper crop of peaches... I can't even imagine.

Date: 2026-10-05 01:59 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] lapis_lazuli615
lapis_lazuli615: a redhead with blue eyes poses on a white background, she looks at least partially unclothed. (Default)
That moment when she realises he likes her for her, and not because of what she can provide for him.... man, that one hits.

Sweet story.

Date: 2026-10-05 08:11 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] lapis_lazuli615
lapis_lazuli615: a redhead with blue eyes poses on a white background, she looks at least partially unclothed. (Default)
Oh, I got that. Been around the LeGitGbiTIQuA community too long to not understand a good beard. :)

But also, when you spend so much time not being seen (and liked) for who you are, it's a surprise when someone does.

Date: 2026-10-05 08:18 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] bsgsix
bsgsix: (Default)
I really enjoy that there's still so much unknown here - and that I still have such a sense of possibility as well. Lana and Leon are so well-written; I can feel their connection, and wonder how much more lies under the surface in this world for them! Very well-written; I look forward to more of this story! <3

Date: 2026-10-06 12:38 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
halfshellvenus: (Default)
Probably for the entire first quarter.
That's a long time to be sidelined from actual practice. You can lose so much in that time--strength as well as skill.

I like the hints of the Cold War Soviet-like dystopia in this.

Date: 2026-10-06 03:48 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
humanbeansradio: (Default)
Loving the setting! Hoping for more! Well done.

Date: 2026-10-06 04:53 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] roina_arwen
roina_arwen: Darcy wearing glasses, smiling shyly (Default)
This was very sweet.

Date: 2026-10-06 08:27 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] inchoatewords
inchoatewords: a drawn caricature of the journal user, a brown-haired woman with glasses in a blue shirt, smiling at the viewer (Default)
Ooh, we get another glimpse into this world. I like how the topic is in the background here, but obviously important.

Date: 2026-10-07 10:34 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)
Oh man, what trouble for the Institute! This at first felt like a fun little sideline to your story, but then the way you wrapped it back to their first meeting, I thought was very sweet. ♥

Date: 2026-10-08 08:34 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] n3m3sis43
n3m3sis43: (Default)
This was cute! I wonder how long it will take to process all the chicken.

Date: 2026-10-08 08:39 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] murielle
murielle: Me (Default)
I do enjoyed this. And then the end was so sweet and positive.

Love! ❤

Date: 2026-10-09 05:43 am (UTC)From: [personal profile] muchtooarrogant
muchtooarrogant: (Default)
I enjoyed how you wrote this statement from Leon.
“I asked  you  because you did me one hell of a favor and I know I just got here and I’m probably too young for you but I think I kind of…like you? Even if we don’t really know each other yet?”
All in a rush, just like he undoubtedly said it. (smile)

Dan

Date: 2026-10-09 10:00 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] millysdaughter
millysdaughter: (Default)
the high school I attended stored sheetrock in the girl's gym shower room, so the female showers did not have water the entire time I was there. this world does not strike me as unlikely...

Date: 2026-10-11 02:56 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] bleodswean
bleodswean: (Default)
Serialized entries are fun! And this story is moving along nicely!

Date: 2026-10-11 05:00 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] commodityfetishx
commodityfetishx: (Default)
this started out as a dystopian vegan nightmare. i think it was still a dystopia but it was cute that it turned into something a bit more friendly at the end.

Date: 2026-10-11 07:01 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] niquildrvr
niquildrvr: (Default)
What a difficult world to live in. I enjoyed this little journey there.

Date: 2026-10-11 09:14 pm (UTC)From: [personal profile] alycewilson
alycewilson: Photo of me after a workout, flexing a bicep (Default)
Ooh, fun! I like how much you pack into this little story and how it could naturally progress into more but can also stand on its own.
Page generated Oct. 21st, 2026 02:14 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios