25.August
My dearest Leon, my lion, my love,
How strange it feels now to know that by the time you hold this letter, you will have returned once more to the Institute that is no longer my home, to celebrate your penultimate Bell Day. I wish I could be there with you, and yet time does not stop regardless of what you or I might wish for. Grant me this wish, that you will tell me about Bell Day as best you can, about the new young one they choose to strike the bell, and about who is chosen to lift that one up. Sadly, I was never suited for lifting at my height!
Speaking of little ones, I should tell you that my parents have allowed me to join in their work. I will have the early classes, ballet and gymnastics and skating. I will be encouraging them to try all three so that those more experienced at evaluating talent can judge which field their parents should be persuaded to let them pursue, or perhaps whether the young daughters and sons would best find another path entirely. I will of course keep my own skills sharp, and there are few things better for drilling the basics than preparing to teach little children who must learn proper technique from the start.
That reminds me, is Coach K still lecturing everyone about stretches and how they are to make you more flexible, not taller? I might have to use that line with the kids I’m teaching. It’s so strange to think of myself as a coach with my own classes. I might like to tour sometime, as Luka does, but I would rather wait until I can do that with you.
Two years, dearest. Two years you must endure without me, as I endured my first two years without you. Certainly, it was easier for me, for I was not yet aware of what I was missing! Two years I will miss you, and I am uncertain whether to hope you will miss me just as much or whether I should hope to spare you the pain of it. Two years I will work for us, as you will study for us, and I will weave the silken threads of the path that may reunite us once more.
I remain, as always, yours,
Lana
--26.August
My dear Luka,
As they say, “I hope this letter finds you well.” But first things first. I hope this letter finds you! I know that these days, letters often become lost somewhere between their writer and the company member they are meant to reach.
How strange it is to know that now I am your pen-pal, and that you are traveling with a group that includes the person I am used to thinking of as your pen-pal. For all that is said of absence making the heart grow fonder, there must still be a relief of being at last reunited? No need to answer that unless you wish to, of course. It is only on my mind as I am missing my darling Leon very much.
And I am missing you, of course, my might as well be twin brother. I know you would be the first to admit and to understand that missing an almost-kin and missing a sweetheart are not at all the same! I miss you for that, for your insight and understanding into people of all sorts. It is a great strength, one that I admire.
I know you have asked before if I would like to join the company. And again, my answer is “not yet”. I have responsibilities, to my parents and our family’s work, to the youngsters they are entrusting to my care and coaching. And now also to Leon. Including the responsibility of appearance of propriety. While of course there would be no such concern, and Leon knows it well, I would not have him the subject of crude speculation on my account.
I do miss you, though. I miss our chats. When next you come my way, I look forward to drinking many cups of tea and getting all of the news. May that day be soon!
Affectionately,
Lana
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 05:23 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 12:54 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 06:04 pm (UTC)From:I also loved how differently her relationships with Leon and Luka come through. With Leon, there’s this aching awareness of the two years separating them and Lana already imagining the life they might build afterward. With Luka, there’s a comfortable, almost-sibling affection, “my might as well be twin brother” says SO much about their relationship. And I laughed at her version of “I hope this letter finds you well,” which became “first things first, I hope this letter finds you!” 😂 Given that apparently letters have a habit of disappearing on their way to traveling company members, that seems like a perfectly reasonable concern. I’m definitely curious to learn more about the Institute and Company now!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 12:45 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 06:33 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:10 am (UTC)From:I'm planning for these three to make more appearances, though of course that's somewhat depending on prompts.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 07:33 am (UTC)From:I feel the same way with my characters… I hope I can explore them more here, but it depends on the prompts.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 12:50 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 01:15 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 07:40 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:06 am (UTC)From:There are just...things that one does not say in letters, lest the letters be intercepted.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-21 10:52 pm (UTC)From:The idea of an institute that teaches ballet, gymnastics, and ice skating as a "chunk" actually makes sense. :)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:08 am (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 03:58 am (UTC)From:Also, what a beautiful line: "Two years I will work for us, as you will study for us, and I will weave the silken threads of the path that may reunite us once more." I REALLY love how elegant and thoughtful that wording is!
Excellent work. Truly. <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 12:58 pm (UTC)From:Lana did not intend to have her heart stolen by a younger student but that...is a story in itself.
Glad you enjoyed this so far!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 07:17 pm (UTC)From:I am REALLY interested to learn more about this story - it's very intriguing! <3
no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 12:57 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 04:49 am (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 11:33 am (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 05:43 am (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-22 01:05 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 08:47 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 05:51 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 11:36 am (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-23 10:37 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 12:58 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-24 01:17 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 12:59 pm (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 11:16 am (UTC)From:no subject
Date: 2026-09-25 01:00 pm (UTC)From:(I wrote the extra prompt within this 'verse, too.)
no subject
Date: 2026-09-26 10:46 pm (UTC)From:be apart from someone you love!
no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 04:24 am (UTC)From:Dan
no subject
Date: 2026-09-27 12:19 pm (UTC)From: